Healthy Hair Care Tips
HEALTHY HAIR CARE TIPS
There has been an increasing number of cases who seek treatment for hair fall, hair thinning, itching in the scalp, grey hair at an early age, frizzy hair, etc. Although homeopathic medicine has proven beneficial in many cases of hair-related issues but to sustain and long-lasting results we do recommend following certain care listed below to consider.
Life Cycle Of Hair:
Each hair goes through three phases during each life cycle which under normal circumstances is three years and four-month
The life cycle of hair 3 years and 4 months.
There are approximately 25 such life cycles in a human beings life
During this life, cycle hair goes through the following stages
- The phase of growth = Anagen phase = 3 years
- The phase of test = Catagen phase = 3 weeks
- The phase of full = The Telogen phase = 3 months
Unlike most mammals hair does not grow and fall together, otherwise every 3 years & 4 Months we would go bald.
Food For Your Hair :
Every time one eats is an opportunity to nourish the body Healthy Inside, Healthy Outside
IRON – For overall growth & wellness of hair since it carries oxygen to the roots
- Dates / Figs ( khajoor / anjeer) 4 pieces daily
- Turmeric powder (haldi) 1-2 tsp daily
- Jaggery (gud) x 1/2tsp daily
- Cumin seeds (jeera)½ tsp daily
PROTEIN – For producing cells that promote healthy hair
- Eggs(twice a week)
- Soya beans in the form of soy milk, chunks, nuggets, tofu 15-30 gm (1-2 tbsp) daily
- Fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 5 gm soaked in water daily
ANTIOXIDANTS – For maintaining the hair follicles connective tissue & protecting blood vessels for healthy hair growth
- Green tea
- Walnuts (akhrot)
- Almonds (badaam)
- Flax seeds (alsi)
Exercises improve blood circulation to the scalp and stimulate the hair follicles making them stronger
Do the following exercises daily
- Take both hands and place your fingertips firmly on your scalp without bending your fingers.
- Keep the fingers firmly on one spot of the scalp moving the fingertips in a circular motion for a few seconds.
- Place your fingers in a new area and repeat the motion until you have covered the entire scalp, spending a little more time on the “weaker “ areas.
- Do this exercise once or twice.
- Smoking: “According to a recent study by the Harvard School of Public Health, smoking can increase almost all the major androgenic hormones including DHEA, androstenedione, testosterone, and dihydrotestosterone (DHT), the hormone most closely linked to hair loss. Therefore, smoking can increase the rate of hair loss. (Source: http://www.frontlinemed.co.uk/Smoking.htm)
- Avoid Udad Dal, Red meat, Red wine, Smoking
- Avoid Non-Veg totally
- Do not keep the hair wet
- Do not brush or comb hair when wet
- Do not use hot oil/water on the scalp
Regular Tips :
Use a wide-toothed comb. Avoid using a brush as it has a larger surface area which can fracture the hair shaft. Don’t comb into wet hair as hair is elastic when moist and can reach its breaking point easily. Don’t share combs; wash them regularly to maintain scalp hygiene.
Hair oil acts as a moisturizer for the hair and scalp. However, it neither nourishes the hair nor does it help to reduce hair loss. Avoid excessive oil application, don’t keep oil on for longer than overnight as it attracts grime, making the hair difficult to clean.
CHEMICAL TREATMENT :
Stay away from chemical treatments like perming, ironing, crimping, and straightening. Be good to hair and it will reciprocate.
BLOW DRYING :
Allow the hair to dry naturally Avoid blow-drying, hairdryer releases gusts of 300 C that causes hair to break. If yet required, use it on low-to-medium heat holding it at least 6 inches away from the hair Avoid vigorous rubbing with a towel as it weakens hair roots, pulls them out, and aggravates hair loss
Hair color contains alkaline chemicals such as ammonia, hydrogen peroxide, and p-Phenylenediamine that penetrate and damage the hair. If coloring hair is a must, choose an ammonia-free one that is less damaging
Avoid any hairstyle that puts pressure on hair like tight ponytails, curlers, and others. If elastic bands and hair clips are used at all, they must not be tight. Don’t keep the same hairstyle or parting constantly
Seasonal Tips :
Use these hair care tips to keep your locks in tip-top shape through all weathers.
- Hot water hair washes can dry out the scalp and strands, Choose lukewarm water instead
- To maintain the moisture, keep the hair washes limited to 2-3 times a week. Use a mild anti-dandruff shampoo.
- Before shampooing hair, massage the scalp with oil and keep it overnight to conserve its moisture
- Wash hair daily or on alternate days:
- If traveling by a 2-wheeler, always cover the head with a handkerchief before wearing the helmet to help absorb the sweat.
Monsoon water contains chlorine which damages the hair. Alum, commonly known as Fitkari, is a well-known water purifier. Just add 1 gm alum per 1 liter of water and allow the muddy particles to settle down before having a hair wash.
Dheas, Free testosterone, Sex hormonal binding globulin (SHBG), FSH, LH, Prolactin, Serum ferritin, Iron Profile, HB profile, T3, T4, TSH, Blood Sugar (Fasting / Plbs.)
- A woman should brush her hair one hundred strokes to keep it healthy and shiny
- The shampoo is harmful to hair
- Shaving hair will make it grow thicker
- Oiling hair will rejuvenate hair re-growth
- It is normal to lose 50-100 hairs a day