Nausea In School-Going Children
Does your child, complain of feeling sick or feeling sensations like throwing up frequently, this feeling is known as nausea.
Throwing up is no fun for your child, and it’s worrisome, for you too, Watching your child in distress, the thought of something that could happen like a terrible disease or something awful happening to your child is sufficient to raise your heartbeats and anxiety.
Nausea may or may not result in vomiting.
Your child may call it a sick feeling in the stomach, nausea is not a disease but a complex symptom that your child can experience in a variety of conditions.
Associated Symptoms In Children
Symptoms that often accompany nausea. Some of the common ones among children.
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
- Sore throat
What is the common cause of nausea in children?
Here are a few common causes of nausea.
- Food poisoning
- Viral gastroenteritis ( stomach flu)
- Food allergy
- Abdominal migraine:- About 10% of school-going children suffer from abdominal migraine, as it is the most underdiagnosed condition in children
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Anxiety nausea: some times stress, anxiety, or emotional distress can cause functional diarrhea in a child
- Indigestion (overeating
- Medications: Drug-induced nausea is one of the most common side effects of medicines.
- Peptic ulcers: They are often caused by infection from Helicobacter pylori bacteria
- Kidney stones
- Gallbladder disease: This condition occurs due to blockage of the bile duct, because of gall stones
- Urinary tract infection
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
When To Seek Help of Doctor?
Seek immediate medical attention if your child experiencing red flag symptoms with nausea
- Severe abdominal pain
- Severe headache or stiff neck with fever
- Reduced alertness
- Faster pulse or breathing
- Low urine output
- Blood in urine or stools or vomitus
- If the child looks dehydrated.
Diagnosing The Cause Of Nausea In Children
There is no special investigation to diagnose nausea, but investigations are done for underlying disaeas conditions which can be causing nausea.
- A detailed medical history of the child along with abdominal examinations.
- Blood examination, stool, and urine test to diagnose any infection.
- Ultrasound of abdomen
- Colonoscopy is required if suspecting small or large intestine pathology
- CT scan and MRI
Treatment of nausea
- The treatment of nausea depends on identifying the underlying cause.
- For which the doctor needs a detailed medical history of the child.
- Detailed physical examination, and abdominal examination, to assess the severity of symptoms.
- The milder symptoms do not require much intervention, many a time, it settles by themself.
- But identifying the red flag symptoms on time saves a child from life-threatening conditions.
- Conventional medicines used for treatment include Antimicrobials for the treatment of infectious diseases, Anti-inflammatory medicines, Antacids, H2 blockers, or proton-pump inhibitors for acid reflux, Antiemetic medications, prokinetics
- Dietary changes in the case of IBS or food intolerance
Homeopathic protocol in the treatment of nausea in children.
- In Homeopathic management, a detailed history of the child is taken into consideration, which includes the child’s overall development, present history complete psychological assessment which gives us the chance to take different, and hopefully better perspectives on children.
- We can see that “symptoms” are just the manifestation of a failure to cope with whatever has challenged or injured a child, and we can also come to understand why a particular child develops a specific pattern of illness.
- In children, it needs to understand their fear, anxiety, and unresolved conflicts, to rule out mild to serious medical and surgical complications.
- Homeopathic management also helps in balancing the metabolism and correcting digestive errors—a combination of well-taken homeopathic case history with diet and lifestyle.
- Also, it helps by improving the child’s immune system and can control the inflammatory changes that are initiated because of food intolerance, and chemical and medicine exposure.
- Homeopathy helps to cure the child in the most gentle and helps in achieving a permanent cure.
How to prevent nausea in children?
- Eating slowly, and proper chewing food
- Avoiding hard-to-digest foods, like fried food, processed foods, artificial sweeteners, high carb dense foods
- Eating small meals throughout the day instead of 2-3 large meals
- If the child is experiencing nausea in the morning, give some crackers in the morning or high protein snack at the night.
- Offer plenty of water
How to relieve nausea in a child?
- Eat light, bland foods (such as saltine crackers or plain bread).
- Avoid fried, greasy, or sweet foods.
- Do not mix hot and cold foods.
- Avoid activity after eating.
- Avoid brushing your teeth after eating.
- Can give ginger juice and honey to the child when nauseous,
- Try fennel seed water with honey to reduce nausea.